Oops, the honey bees found the feeder also!


As all of my family knows, I have been providing feeders for hummingbirds for many years. (I have now dropped the number down to one -- two during high usage.) I keep the feeder up from April through September of each year. I love watching the small birds feeding and "dancing" around the feeder. There is always the time, usually the end of July, when the parents show their young the "free food line" I provide. This year the youngsters began using the facility August eighth (08/08/08.) Suddenly, instead of having to refill the feeder once a week, I'm having to go out twice a day to replenish the empty feeder! Last night I stood at my kitchen window trying to count the little birds flying around the station. (It is very difficult since they are constantly in motion, swinging back and forth like little pendulums, chasing each other all around the yard, through the bushes and trees, making twittering little squeaks, their little wings humming as they "float" in the air trying to claim their turn at the feeding station.) At one point, I was able to count twenty-five (25) of the little birds hovering around the feeder. They are certainly keeping me busy! This morning, as I hung a newly filled feeder back up, the little rascals were humming over my head, very impatient. They show no fear when it comes to their sugar water -- very demanding little birds and so much fun!
1 comment:
Great pics:)
Joe
Post a Comment